Sunday, April 23, 2006

CHEF'S WHITES

On January 4th, the first day of classes we were given three things:

- A large red tool box filled with various kitchen tools
- An unwieldy, hard-box knife case containing knives
- A black duffle bag with two chef uniforms

We were required to buy our kitchen clogs on our own.

I've tried my best to use bleach and Oxy to keep my uniforms clean and four months
have months school I've been fairly successful at keeping my chef whites, white, but here they are before I get any farther along.

DOUBLE-BREASTED JACKET W/ KNOTTED-CLOTH BUTTONS
The jacket is double-breasted to be easily "reversed to hide stains that may accumulate throughout the day." The double layer of cotton is meant to "insulate our bodies against the intense heat of the stove or an accidental splattering of hot liquid." The buttons are made of knotted cloth to "withstand the frequent washings and abuse buttons often take from contact with pots, pans and other heavy equipment."

There's a left-chest pocket and two long, narrow pockets on the side of the left arm that is useful for a cooking thermometer, a spoon, a pen and a black marker. There have been some attempts to splash-up the jackets and there are a few of places out there that do different cottons and designs, some more expensive than others but I haven't seen anything that crazy yet. Personally, I like the whites but I'm surprised that I haven't come across more outlandish uniforms.

CHEF'S BLACK AND WHITE CHECKERED PANTS
They're loose and comfortable and that's imperative when you're bending down to pull plates out of the oven or participating in what really ends up being the ballet of the heavy-metal ballet of the kitchen. In the end though, you do feel like you're wearing pyjamas. They're checkered to help hide spills and stains. All things considered, I'd rather wear a pair of jeans.


CHEF'S NECKERCHIEF
Meant at first to absorb sweat in the hot kitchen, they still serve that purpose these days but they're mostly used for decoration. It's tied in a similar way as a necktie. First the neckerchief is laid out in a full triangle, the shortest end is folded over to meet the long end of the triangle, it's then folded over on itself in 1 1/2 inch increments.

CHEF'S APRON
Tied around the front and knotted, it's the first line of defense be it hot oil, water, barbeque sauce or chocolate. While perhaps it's not supposed to be one, in a bind it's a handtowel for grabbing hot handles, dirty hands are wiped on it, and as a result, it gets increasingly tough to keep clean. And, our apron-strings are useful for tucking handtowels aplenty into them.

STUDENT'S CHEF HAT
Putting on the student hat is a daily ritual. After changing out of the clothes from our other lives and into our whites we're allowed in the kitchen. The first thing we do next is grab a thin, flat hat. We adjust them around our heads, staple them using the stapler chained at the storeroom and then we're allowed to start preparing food. If you forget to get your hat on once it's likely that the tone of voice your chef uses to remind you on will prevent you from forgetting again. Hats used outside out kitchens vary!

CHEF'S HANDTOWELS
We're told to keep one tucked under our apron-strings on our right and our left. We're told to keep one in hand as often as we can when wandering around touching hot pots and pans on the stove. We're told that at the end of the night the towel should still be largely clean, that it's to be used for grabbing hot handles. We're supposed to use other towels to clean our work-station surfaces. We're told these handtowels are our best friends. I keep three towels on my apron-strings but unfortunately, no matter how many times we're told these things, we still tend to get burnt. Someday...

KITCHEN CLOGS
We're told our shoes must be black and not canvas in case a knife should fall straight down. The clogs slide on and off easily and they're very comfortable, but I'd prefer a pair of laced shoes if I have to wear low-cut shoes. Of course, I'd prefer to wear...

MY FAVORITE KITCHEN CLOGS
There's no way around it, they're just more comfortable. I had a pair when I was a kid which I kept long after I outgrew them. At a truckstop in Nebraska, I found a pair of brown Durangos and I've been buying them ever since. Beyond the comfort factor, if there is anywhere I'd show some personality in the clothes I wear in the kitchen, it's here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home