Wednesday, May 03, 2006

DOWN BY THE RIVER

While my next trip to Peter Luger's (right) is going to have to be for their burger (which they serve during lunch) Luger's won't be the first place on my itinerary. With the addition of Dressler, there's now another reason beyond Peter Luger's to go South of the Williamsburg Bridge.

But wait, I'm making it sound as though there's really nothing there South of the bridge and that's just not true. A walk down the block from Dressler and the Williamsburg Savings Bank (left) toward the river reminded me of other possibilities and at least one interesting lead down at the water that I'd somehow completely forgotten about.



Dressler (left), which New York Magazine noted, is named for the title character of Steven Millhauser’s Pulitzer-winning novel, Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer (!plot spoiler!), is owned by Colin Devlin who also owns DuMont and DuMont Burger. As I understand it, Dressler is a man of grand ambitions with a knack for implementing them.

I don't know Mr. Devlin but with his growing stable of solid restaurants it doesn't seem a poor comparison. New York Magazine also reported that Mr. Devlin hired Brooklyn artists to build the light-box screens, the chandeliers and the zinc bar in the restaurant. Use local artists and business, now that doesn't exactly breed badwill...

Heading farther down Broadway toward the river on the right side of the street is Diner (left) which I'll have to revisit as I haven't been there in years. While their burgers are going to have to wait for me to revist, with the summer here, if the mussels are any good it could be a nice Saturday sitting and sipping spot.

Next door is Marlow & Sons which is the next stop on my list, and may help satisfy my recent oyster cravings. Oysters? Sure. Brooklyn Industries has moved into the neighborhood and the Gretsch building has definitely drawn a more affluent crowd, but the neighborhood still has some of its old flavor.

Hasidic kids fly down the block on scooters, locks flying. Further down past Diner and Marlow is what seems like the local bar, Southside Lounge (left), with a kid's red wagon in the front window.
It's the end of Broadway that intrigues me though, Giando On The Water. I tried to go once, several years ago, having had my curiosity piqued when seeing it from Manhattan. A large gated complex with gold metal lettering on either side of the open gates, behind which is an open parking lot, valet parking, and what have always seemed to be fairly nice cars.

The day we showed up we didn't have reservations and we were told there was a private party inside. Having asked around and hearing that it was a mob hangout and at least reading that certain elements were known to visit it, I haven't been back. But I've been visiting several old world Italian restaurants lately and it seems like it's time to try again if only to see when the streak of eating good goes bad in this neighborhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home