Tuesday, June 20, 2006

NON-ALLITERATIVE TUESDAY: LOOK UP

Non-Alliterative Tuesday: no obligations, no rhyme, reason or methodology other than that it's something relevant to food and goings-on in Kitchen Toro. No promises other than that like the other features on Kitchen Toro, Non-Alliterative Tuesday will be posted regularly!


When I was about 6 years old one of my all-time favorite things were occasional weekend drives from our hometown on the South shore of Long Island, Merrick, into the city where we'd go to Barnes & Noble. For at least an hour I'd wander through aisle after aisle of books, collecting books to take home, even trying to read one cover to cover before the check-out counter so I could subsitute for it.

Beyond Barnes & Noble the best part was the car-ride when we'd get to the center of the city. Sitting in the back seat of the car I'd lean my head back and look up through the rear window marveling at the height of the skyscrapers. Well, I suppose I'm still pretty much a kid and here on Kitchen Toro, we still look up and marvel.

Walking uptown from Union Square I came across this building being renovated for lofts and the signs below on the wrap-around.



"LUXURY LOFT CONDOS 212.431.7696 WWW76MADISON.COM. EXCLUSIVE BUTLER SERVICE FROM GEOFFREY ZAKARIAN'S NEW RESTAURANT COUNTRY. INCLUDING WHITE GLOVE ROOM SERVICE 'THE PERFECT PANTRY' PRIVATE PARTIES & MORE"

Now let's just say I haven't been to Country (I'd certainly like to) and I have nothing against Geoffrey Zakarian. And I'm not asking for the violins to be broken out for me here, I'm no longer employed but I'm not in the poorhouse...yet. What I can't conceive here is being so rich as to have white glove room service from Country. I can conceive of the amount of money needed to live in a place that would enable that to happen but I can't envision a need for this. I mean, you've got that much money and you don't want to go down to the restaurant? You really need the foie gras and pigeon meat terrine to be brought up to your room so that you can eat it while watching CNN?

Aw don't listen to me, if I had that kind of money maybe I'd be living in the AOL Time Warner Center trying to order up from Masa. Gosh I hope I'd go downstairs once in a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home