Monday, August 28, 2006

MEME MONDAY: FREEWILLIAMBSURG

There's a lot of food out there on those crazy interwebs and this feature, Meme Monday, highlights places dedicated to it, be they favored food-related websites, reference sites or, gasp, blogs.

If you're into food and Williamsburg you probably don't need me to tell you about today's site. But if you're new to town, check out FREEWilliamsburg's Food section. It's a great way to familiarize yourself with your eating options. They're also good about updating restaurant closings.

Speaking of closings, I don't know how long it's been the case but my visit to the site today informed me of some sad news, the closing of Bean, a hole-in-the wall Mexican restaurant a few blocks from the Bedford Avenue L. I'd eaten there twice and enjoyed the food but wasn't overwhelmed by it. It was nice because it had outdoor seating (about three tables) on the street and if you wanted Mexican but weren't in the mood for the Bedford chaos and Vera Cruz (which means best tacos by the way) you had an alternative nearby. But in the end Vera Cruz is better and they have frozen margaritas (though if you don't need the indoor restaurant experience, TacoBite's limited menu has yet to disappoint me).

Moon Shadow is also noted as having closed. It's only a few blocks away from my apartment in Greenpoint and yet after passing it twice a day for five years I had never visited. Just couldn't make the committment. It's across the street from Wasabi and if I was going to eat in that area I'd be hard-pressed to pass on getting a fix for my sushi jones.

What it doesn't say on FREEWilliamsburg about Moon Shadow is that it's been turned into a Dunkin' Donuts. It's nice to know that there's an ice coffee on the twenty-minute walk to the subway station (yes, I know it's a hike) but I can't say I'm thrilled to know that their poor imitation banana coolata Starbucks type copycat drinks are on the prowl nearby. They scare me they're so bad. It's as though someone let their kids get drunk and play with coffee and fruit. I'll admit to having munchkin nostalgia (ask me about the schoolbus incident) and eating their croissant sandwhiches in a pinch but their drinks are horrible. Guh.

Their slogan is America runs on Dunkin...does it though? Really? I kind of doubt it. Maybe Massachusetts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home