Tuesday, June 27, 2006

NON-ALLITERATIVE TUESDAY: MIDTOWN PIZZA

Non-Alliterative Tuesday: no obligations, no rhyme, reason or methodology other than that it's something relevant to food and goings-on in Kitchen Toro...

Ah, Times Square, my former workplace and most favorite area in the world. Okay, maybe that's an ever-so-slight exaggeration, as in my past life I was too often the beleagured, grumpy face in the background of several million tourist's pictures rushing too and from work past and through throngs of tourists. Let's just say we go way back, Times Square and I.

And just off Times Square, on the corner of 8th Avenue and 42nd Street near my favorite movie theatre in the city (it's huge and the seats are the most comfortable in Manhattan-- show me better seats and I'll pay for the tickets) you can find the sign above and to the left which reads "A New York Original Since 1964."

The sign belongs to a place called "Villa Pizza." Now I don't have anything against Villa Pizza. For what it is it's pretty good-- it gives Sbarro's a run for it's money: the pizza is decent. Not the best slice I've had in New York (fyi, if you love pizza and haven't checked out this site you've got to go) but that's not why you'd go here. As someone who lives in New York, you'd go here because you're catching a bus at the Port Authority diagonally across the street or you're rushing to see a movie or catch up with a friend who has already eaten and you're starving.

The thing about Villa Pizza is that like La Famiglia one block away (my midtown slice, if you go to the deli/pizza parlor on 43rd b/n Broadway & 8th you just don't know pizza, sorry) is that it gives a decent slice. The crust is passable and the sauce is better than decent which carries it.

But like I said, we're not here today to talk about the philosophy of the slice (that's for another day), we're here to talk about the sign above. It's genius-- it looks like it's been there forever. The facade doesn't look new, nor obviously does the garish red and green sign. But between the old school subway-style tiling and the wear on the metal letters this installment of a "New York Original" has been there for only a few years.

According to their site, "started in 1964 as a tiny pizzeria next to the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York City," Villa Pizza (the vision of founder Michele Scotto, originally from Naples, Italy, whose dream it was to open 'pizzeria where he could continue to practice the craft he had learned back home working in the restaurants and cruise ships in and around Naples') claims to now have "over 300 locations and 5 restaurant concepts."

What's my point? Well, now that I'm no longer angry at you, dear tourists, with your slow walking, your stopping on the street corners to look up at the lights, the signs, and your questionable habits of spending Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights here, I'm very concerned about you, I want you to know you shouldn't go here expecting a slice of a New York Original! Check out all the varieties of Ray's and Ray copy-cats, stop into some of the small places around town.

Above all, when buying a slice, wait for a fresh pie to come out of the oven, or just bring grandma and the kids and share a fresh pie yourselves. If you're going to go to Villa Pizza that's fine just don't take pictures of it, please, for your own sake. And for the love of god and all things holy and sacred, you're in New York, do not go to the Olive Garden. If you find yourself nearing the door handle stop and cross the street. Stay away from Red Lobster while you're at it too. You're still slow and silly but I'm saying this out of love and concern for you. I swear, it's true, take a look at my profile picture, tourist-friends, I won't ruin your pictures anymore, I'm smiling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home