Tuesday, June 06, 2006

NON-ALLITERATIVE TUESDAY: SOUTHERN STYLE

Another new feature on Kitchen Toro, Non-Alliterative Tuesday. No obligations, no methodology other than that it's something relevant to food and goings-on in Kitchen Toro. No promises other than that like the other features on Kitchen Toro, Non-Alliterative Tuesday will be posted regularly!

Today's entry features a new book, the Gift of Southern Cooking by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock. As I've explained, I'm a sucker for Southern. Among other ideas of what I'll do after school (more tk) I've pondered going down South to get hands-on experience doing Southern cooking. Sure, I might do it, but it's also not a bad idea to get some practical experience on my own here in Kitchen Toro.

The book was recommended to me by a friend's friend as a good staple. I'd heard of Edna Lewis a little while ago when she passed away and I read her obituary in The Times, but I hadn't had a chance to look into any of her books.

Right now, if there's anything I have, it's some time so I'm diving in. One of the things I've noticed right away is the frequency with which Scott Peacock mentions putting things up, bottling garnishes and jams, etc. It's something I'm going to have to discuss with my grandmother who has been doing this for years. I may have to invest a little in some equipment. It brings to mind a few other projects I'd love to embark on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home