Monday, August 14, 2006

MEME MONDAY: FORGOTTEN WILLIAMSBURG

There's a lot of food out there on those crazy interwebs and this feature, Meme Monday, highlights places dedicated to it, be they favored food-related websites, reference sites or, gasp, blogs.

Today's site is among my favorites on the internet, ForgottenNY.com. ForgottnNY.com is a wonderful site I've been visiting for years that documents just that, the little bits of this city from eras gone by that can still be seen after the dust from new continual construction settles. And while it may at first seem liminal to Kitchen Toro's purposes, when I mention that ForgottenNy.com has a new feature about Williamsburg and you remember where Turo's kitchen is, today's Meme Monday may start to make some sense!

Yup, Williamsburg and Greenpoint are my neighborhoods and while my daily walks have taken me down familiar streets time and again in search of good food, I'm always interested in history, especially in seeing those things that are in danger from new development in the hopes of seeing how they might become integrated with it. From the Grand Ferry Park, McCarren Pool, to a walk past Teddy's Bar and Grill and the Turkey's Nest, the feature looks at Williamsburg then and now. Take a stroll!

While the site's webmaster thanks his contributors for their interest in all things 'Olde' New York, I think Kevin Walsh, himself, should be applauded for his dedication and interest in this ever-changing city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home