Sunday, September 17, 2006

DISH #5 STEAK FRITES

Where to begin? While many of the dishes I've made so far use techniques I've learned at the French Culinary Institute, they're not exactly dishes we've learned to make there (though with the new Japanese and Italian programs starting and the school's new name, ICC, for International Culinary Center, perhaps my menu is in alignment with the school's plans for the future!). For this reason (and because I just love steak) I'm making a dish that hits a little closer home, steak frites.

It's not a terribly difficult dish to make but that was a welcome change after my previously completed dish, Frozen Caprese. Between the processes of making three ice creams, two different dish designs, melting ice creams and several shoots, I was very happy to be finished with that dish and moving on to this one.

While we've been taught to prepare steak at school and learned to make fries and aioli as well, I decided to do some research before getting started. Aside from my school textbook, I decided to use recipes from Epicurious as a guide: Steak Frites, Belgian Fries and aioli.

My steak frites will be described on my menu as such: Pan-seared Filet Mignon Au Jus, With Sauteed Granny Smith and Dried Apples, Oyster, Cremini and White Mushrooms, and Light Greens with Orange Vinaigrette and French Fries Sprayed with Framboise Lambic Reduction served with Chili-Pepper Aioli.

For those of you who haven't had it before, Framboise Lambic is a spontaneously fermented fruit beer. From our beer and wine seminar at FCI I understand this to mean that the yeast used to ferment the fruit aren't controlled-- that is to say whatever yeasts are wandering by are the ones that are used in the fermentation process. After hearing about a steak dish in Colorado be raved about because of the fries which were served with a sweet-salty, champagne reduction I decided to try a reduction of Framboise Lambec to add a little sweetness to the twice-fried Belgian fries.

I reduced half of a large bottle of Framboise Lambic, 375 ML of Framboise Lambic to a point just before it started turning syrupy and lightly misted the fries after they were fried and before salting them.

Belgian Fries

12 Idaho Potatoes, Sliced on a Mandoline
4 Qts of Oil for Frying
Salt and Pepper

Framboise Lambec Reduction
375 ML Framboise Lambec

Cut the fries on a mandoline then fry in oil once, allow to dry then fry again. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Reduce Lambec until just before syrupy, fill spray bottle and spray fries with the reduction.

I've had some mishaps with mandolines since starting school in January and again lately at work, despite my efforts I still slightly sliced my thumbs so I determined not to get sliced this afternoon. I used the guard on my mandoline and avoided drawing blood.

Now the jus and the steak will be well-seasoned but the apple-mushroom compote is going to be sweet and the fries are misted with a sweet raspberry lambic reduction so I want a dipping sauce that adds some contrast. Belgian fries are often served with mayonnaise so I decided on an aioli but something with a little kick, a garlic and chili pepper aioli.

Arturo's Chili Pepper Aioli

3 Egg Yolks
4 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
3 Teaspoons Mustard
1 1/4 Vegetable Oil
6 Garlic Cloves, Mahed into a Paste
1 Poblano Chili, Finely Minced
1 Red Chili Pepper, Finely Minced
Salt and Pepper

Whisk yolks, lemon juice and mustard then drizzle in vegetable oil while continuing to whisk. Chop and paste the garlic, add salt and pepper, then whisk in. Whisk in minced chili peppers.

The mushroom, onion and apple compote component of the dish is something I came up with before starting school last January. Lately I've been thinking that as wonderful as all these things are that I've learned by attending FCI, there's a part of that amateur cook that I still want to keep with me going forward, the adventurous, let's see if it sticks kind of cooking now accompanied by correct (I hope!) technique.

The onions and mushrooms are sauteed in butter, a bit of oil, salt and pepper. Fresh Granny Smith apples and dried apples are then added giving those salty mushrooms some sweetness and additional texture.

Arturo's Apple and Mushroom Compote

1 Large Sweet Onion, Thinly Sliced
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon Oil
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
1 1/3 LB White Mushrooms, Thinly Sliced
1/2 LB Cremini Mushrooms, Thinly Sliced
1/2 LB Oyster Mushrooms
1 Granny Smith Apple, Peeled and Thinly Sliced
1 1/2 Cup Dried Apples
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper

Saute the sweet onion in butter and oil until they're soft and season with salt and pepper. In separate pans, saute the different mushrooms in butter and oil-- saute the fresh and dried apples separately as well to give everything color. When everything has been well-sweated add the mushrooms and apples to the onions.

For the steak I decided on filet mignon but to accompany it I made a jus from roasted neck bones because I wanted to make sure I had enough sauce at the end.

Jus

Three Neck Bones
1 Tablespoon Oil
Water
Salt and Pepper
3 Tablespoons Butter

Saute the neck bones in a hot pan with a tablespoon of oil. Deglaze pan with water and reduce water then remove bones, season with salt and pepper. When the actual steaks are cooked, deglaze that cooking pan with a little water and add the neck bone jus. Then just before service monter au beurre.

The great thing about today was that I actually cooked the meal for four guests so I cooked the full four dishes required for the final project and was able to get some feedback on how they tasted.

Steaks

4 1 1/3 LB Filet Mignon Steaks
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
3 Tablespoons Butter

Season both sides of steaks with salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat a sauteuse, add the butter and cook the steak to pink inside.

2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
3/4 Cup Oil

Mix vinegar and orange juice with salt and pepper then whisk in the oil and emulsify.

A handful of mixed greens in an vinegar-orange dressing, spoon the jus over the steak and voila, steak frites. The results? Everyone seemed pretty happy with the dish on the whole. That aioli could've probably been it's own sauce on top of the steak-- pretty tasty.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

again;
TOro THE MAGNIFICENT,
" It is on the money "
Delish
Gram

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home