Sunday, July 23, 2006

FRIED ZUCCHINI BLOSSOMS

Yesterday I picked fresh zucchini blossoms from my grandparents' garden in Westfield, Mass. Today, I'm using some loose guidelines (egg, flour and a drop of milk) from my sister's Italian boyfriend, Luca to prepare them.

First I rinsed the blossoms taking care not to tear them apart or bruise them but making sure that there wasn't anything unpleasant inside like a snoozing bee or angry ants. Then I began heating up some vegetable oil on the stove while I made the batter.

It was a simple batter, and a light one.

Zucchini Blossom Batter

8 Zucchini/Squash Blossoms
1 Large Egg
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Teaspoon Milk
Pinch of Salt

Rinse the blossoms taking care not to tear or bruise them. Beat egg thoroughly, add 1 teaspoon of milk and then sift in 2 tablespoons of flour, a pinch of sugar and mix thoroughly. Dredge zucchini blossoms in the batter making sure that it gets inside of the flowers. Tap lightly against the side of the bowl and when the oil is hot drop the battered blossoms in and cook until golden brown then drain oil on paper towels.

The result on the right were very attractive. The batter follows the shape of the flowers. The outside is crispy but the inside flower is light, soft and buttery. They were pleasant on their own but could be served with a variety of dipping sauces or spreads, like marscapone, a creamy lightened gorgonzola or even dressed just slightly with honey.

Hmm, I think I may have just found a dish for my menu. Now to get some plates to shoot them on before they go out of season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home